World NATO hasn't reached decision on whether to leave Afghanistan as deadline looms
Overnight Defense: Pentagon says extremist groups 'very aggressively recruit' troops | Capitol Guard deployment estimated at $483M | No US combat deaths in Afghanistan for a year | VA secretary confirmed
Happy Monday and welcome to Overnight Defense. I'm Rebecca Kheel, and here's your nightly guide to the latest developments at the Pentagon, on Capitol Hill and beyond. CLICK HERE to subscribe to the newsletter.THE TOPLINE: As the Pentagon looks to root out extremists from its ranks, one of the issues it faces is extremist groups actively recruiting service members.On Monday, the Defense Department's top spokesman said such groups "veryTHE TOPLINE: As the Pentagon looks to root out extremists from its ranks, one of the issues it faces is extremist groups actively recruiting service members.
- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has not yet decided if the 10,000 troops it has in Afghanistan will leave the country by May.
- Last February the United States brokered a deal with the Taliban that would usher in a permanent cease-fire and see the departure of all foreign forces by May 2021.
- There are about 2,500 U.S. troops in Afghanistan.
WASHINGTON – NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Thursday that the alliance has not yet decided if the 10,000 troops it has in Afghanistan will leave the country by May, in accordance with a peace deal brokered between the U.S. and the Taliban.
500 vehicles in flames after fuel tanker explodes on Afghanistan-Iran border
More than 500 vehicles burst into flames at the Afghanistan-Iranian border Saturday afternoon after a fuel truck there exploded, provincial officials told Afghanistan's TOLO News.More than 500 vehicles burst into flames at the Afghanistan-Iranian border Saturday afternoon after a fuel truck there exploded, provincial officials told Afghanistan's TOLO News.
"Violence has to be reduced and the Taliban has to stop cooperating with international terrorist groups that are planning terrorist attacks in our countries," Stoltenberg told reporters at the conclusion of a two-day virtual NATO defense ministers meeting.
Last February thethat would usher in a permanent cease-fire and reduce the U.S. military's footprint from approximately 13,000 troops to 8,600 by mid-July last year.
By May 2021, all foreign forces would leave the war-weary country, according to the deal.
"Our aim is to make sure that we have a lasting political agreement that can make it possible for us to leave in a way that doesn't undermine our main goal and that is to prevent Afghanistan from becoming once again a safe haven [for terrorists]," Stoltenberg said, adding "That's also the reason why we will continue to assess the situation before we make any final decision on our future."
After 'brain death' and Trump, NATO chief proposes reforms for Atlantic alliance
After 'brain death' and Trump, NATO chief proposes reforms for Atlantic allianceBRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg will present reform plans on Wednesday to modernise the alliance after four years of friction with Washington and to face challenges including China's military rise and Russia as an adversary.
"The majority of the troops are from European allies and partner countries. We will do what is necessary to make sure that our troops are secure," Stoltenberg said when asked if the alliance was prepared for violence if the agreement with the Taliban is broken.
Video: Tehran is 'after sanctions relief,' expert says (CNBC)
There are about 2,500 U.S. troops in the country. Currently, the U.S. is slated to withdraw American service members from Afghanistan by May 1, 2021.
Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin told NATO members that the Biden administration was "conducting a thorough review of the conditions of the U.S.-Taliban agreement to determine whether all parties have adhered to those conditions," according to a Pentagon readout of the meeting.
Germany warns against swift withdrawal from Afghanistan
Germany warns against swift withdrawal from AfghanistanBERLIN (Reuters) - Peace talks for Afghanistan have not made sufficient progress to allow a withdrawal of foreign troops, German Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said on Wednesday ahead of a virtual meeting with her NATO counterparts.
"He reassured allies that the U.S. would not undertake a hasty or disorderly withdrawal from Afghanistan," the statement added.
The Pentagon has previously said that the U.S. troop drawdown in Afghanistanto uphold a peace deal brokered last year.
The wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria have cost U.S. taxpayers more than $1.57 trillion since Sept. 11, 2001, according to a. The war in Afghanistan, which is now America's longest conflict, began 19 years ago and has cost U.S. taxpayers $193 billion, according to .
Stoltenberg also said Thursday that the NATO alliance decided to. The military alliance agreed to increase its footprint from 500 personnel to around 4,000.
"Our presence is conditions-based and increases in troop numbers will be incremental," he said, adding that the request for an expanded mission was made by the Iraqi government.
Germany prepares way for its troops to stay in Afghanistan .
BERLIN (AP) — The German government is preparing the way for the country's troops in Afghanistan — the second-biggest contingent in a NATO force — to stay in place until next year if needed. Chancellor Angela Merkel's Cabinet on Wednesday approved a new draft mandate that would enable German troops to stay until Jan. 31, government spokesman Steffen Seibert said. German troop deployments overseas require parliamentary approval, which is typically granted on an annual basis. The current mandate for Afghanistan expires at the end of March.NATO has just under 10,000 troops in the war-ravaged country, helping to train and advise Afghan security forces.