World The WHO team probing the origins of the coronavirus in Wuhan is scrapping its interim report. Critics say China never gave them a real chance to investigate.
As U.S., U.K. Converge on China, British Lawmaker Says 'Golden Era Is Over'
An "awakening" to the challenges posed by Beijing has caused a shift in attitude in the United Kingdom, says Tom Tugendhat, chair of China Research Group.Echoing recent sentiments expressed on Capitol Hill, Tom Tugendhat, who chairs the British Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee, said there had been an "awakening" in the U.K. to the many irreconcilable practices of the Chinese government.
- An interim report summarizing the WHO investigation into the origins of the virus has been scrapped.
- The WHO says this summary will be published with the full report "in coming weeks".
- This comes as the independence of the investigation from Chinese influence has come under scrutiny.
An interim report summarizing an World Health Organisation investigation into the origins of the coronavirus has been scrapped,.
A comprehensive timeline of the Larry Nassar case
Key dates show former USA Gymnastics and Michigan State trainer’s lengthy campaign of sexual abuse, resulting in trial and MSU’s $500M settlement to survivorsThe facade of decency surrounding Nassar, one maintained in part by institutions like USAG and MSU, which missed or outright disregarded multiple opportunities to investigate claims of misconduct, began to fall apart in late 2016 when the Indianapolis Star published a piece on USAG’s mishandling of allegations of sexual abuse by coaches.
WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus had said on February 12 that a summary of the results would come within weeks, the Journal said.
But that plan has been scrapped, lead scientist on the investigation team, Peter Ben Embarek,.
The results of the WHO-China Joint study are not yet public, the WHO confirmed in an email to Insider on Friday.
Instead, "the team wants to issue the full report at the same time as the summary so all information is available to public", said spokesman Tarik Jašarević.
This news comes as the independence of the team conducting the investigation has come under fire.
Video: Author of anonymous note that gave patient hope (USA TODAY)
In a, 26 scientists not affiliated with the WHO team said that "structural limitations" in how the team operated made a full examination of the origins of the pandemic "all but impossible".
China plays the Trump card, but Biden is not buying it
Biden's forthright actions to date have earned him China’s condemnation for “Trumpism without Trump."China's leaders, however, believe that blaming the former administration for Sino-U.S. tensions will leverage anti-Trump animus for Biden's "flexibility" on contentious issues. With Trump gone, Washington can forget "the China threat" and revert to the "normalcy" that Beijing found so advantageous during the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations.
The scientists said that half of the team is made up of "Chinese citizens whose scientific independence may be limited".
The investigation has to rely on "information the Chinese authorities chose to share with them", the scientists said in the letter.
The WHO team arrivedto Wuhan to investigate the origins of SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19. It was over a year after the beginning of the outbreak.
After a month-long investigation, the team, saying that they had ruled out a laboratory origin for the virus.
After the press conference, one of the scientists on the team said that China hadthe raw data to the WHO team, making it more difficult to assess the quality of the information.
Responding to that report, theon February 13 it was "deeply concerned" about the way the early findings were communicated, and called on China to release the data from the earliest days of the outbreak.
"It is imperative that this report be independent, with expert findings free from intervention or alteration by the Chinese government", the statement said.
The WHO told Insider in an email that the full report is "expected in coming weeks".
China Xinjiang: First independent report into Uyghur genocide allegations claims evidence of Beijing's 'intent to destroy' Muslim minorities .
The Chinese government's alleged actions in Xinjiang have violated every single provision in the United Nations' Genocide Convention, according to an independent report by more than 50 global experts in human rights, war crimes and international law. © Bloomberg/Getty Images A Chinese flag flies outside the east gate of the Old City in Kashgar, Xinjiang, on November 8, 2018.