•   
  •   
  •   

World Verdict in 'Hotel Rwanda' hero's terror trial delayed

09:20  13 september  2021
09:20  13 september  2021 Source:   afp.com

Man who inspired 'Hotel Rwanda' convicted of terror charges

  Man who inspired 'Hotel Rwanda' convicted of terror charges KIGALI, Rwanda (AP) — A court in Rwanda says the man who inspired “Hotel Rwanda,” Paul Rusesabagina, has been found guilty of terror-related offenses. Rusesabagina boycotted Monday’s announcement after declaring he didn’t expect justice in a trial he called a “sham.” He has so far been convicted of the formation of an illegal armed group, membership in a terrorist group and financing a terror group. The verdict is still being read out on charges of murder, abduction, and armed robbery as an act of terrorism. He was charged along with 20 other people. © Provided by Associated Press FILE - In this Friday, Feb.

A Rwandan court will deliver next month its delayed verdict in the terrorism trial of Paul Rusesabagina, the Hotel Rwanda hero -turned-government critic, the judiciary has announced. Initially, a decision in the highly watched case against the 67-year-old Rusesabagina had been Rusesabagina is accused of 13 charges including terrorism , financing and founding armed groups, murder, arson and conspiracy to involve children in armed groups. The Rwandan judiciary said on Twitter on Friday the court would now announce its verdict against Rusesabagina and his 20 co-accused on September 20.

Rwanda announced Wednesday that a verdict due this week in a terrorism trial against Paul Rusesabagina, the " Hotel Rwanda " hero turned government critic, has been delayed . The Rwandan judiciary said on Twitter that the verdict against Rusesabagina and his co-accused will not be delivered as scheduled on Friday, but that a new date would be announced that day. Rusesabagina, who used his celebrity following the 2004 film to denounce Rwandan President Paul Kagame as a dictator, was arrested in August 2020 when a plane he believed was bound for Burundi landed instead

Rwanda announced Wednesday that a verdict due this week in a terrorism trial against Paul Rusesabagina, the "Hotel Rwanda" hero turned government critic, has been delayed.

a person reading a book: Prosecutors have sought a life sentence for Rusesabagina, the former hotelier credited with saving hundreds of lives during the 1994 genocide, and whose bravery inspired a Hollywood film © Simon Wohlfahrt Prosecutors have sought a life sentence for Rusesabagina, the former hotelier credited with saving hundreds of lives during the 1994 genocide, and whose bravery inspired a Hollywood film

Rusesabagina, 67, had been due to learn his fate on Friday in a case that his supporters say is politically motivated.

Prosecutors have sought a life sentence for Rusesabagina, the former hotelier credited with saving hundreds of lives during the 1994 genocide, and whose bravery inspired the Hollywood film.

‘Hotel Rwanda’ hero sentenced to 25 years on terror charges

  ‘Hotel Rwanda’ hero sentenced to 25 years on terror charges Paul Rusesabagina, who inspired the film “Hotel Rwanda”. boycotted the announcement of the verdict after calling the trial a “sham.”Paul Rusesabagina, credited with sheltering ethnic Tutsis during Rwanda’s 1994 genocide and a recipient of the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom, boycotted the announcement of the verdict after calling the trial a “sham.

KIGALI: Rwanda announced Wednesday that a verdict due this week in a terrorism trial against Paul Rusesabagina, the " Hotel Rwanda " hero turned government critic, has been delayed . The Rwandan judiciary said on Twitter that the verdict against Rusesabagina and his co-accused will not be delivered as scheduled on Friday, but that a new date would be announced that day. Rusesabagina, who used his celebrity following the 2004 film to denounce Rwandan President Paul Kagame as a dictator, was arrested in August 2020 when a plane he believed was bound for Burundi landed instead

Rwanda announced Wednesday that a verdict due this week in a terrorism trial against Paul Rusesabagina, the “ Hotel Rwanda ” hero turned government critic, has been delayed . The Rwandan judiciary said on Twitter that the verdict against Rusesabagina and his co-accused will not be delivered as scheduled on Friday, but that a new date would be announced that day. Rusesabagina, who used his celebrity following the 2004 film to denounce Rwandan President Paul Kagame as a dictator, was arrested in August 2020 when a plane he believed was bound for Burundi landed instead

The Rwandan judiciary said on Twitter that the verdict against Rusesabagina and his co-accused will not be delivered as scheduled on Friday, but that a new date would be announced that day.

Rusesabagina, who used his celebrity following the 2004 film to denounce Rwandan President Paul Kagame as a dictator, was arrested in August 2020 when a plane he believed was bound for Burundi landed instead in Kigali.

Kagame's government accuses Rusesabagina of supporting the National Liberation Front (FLN), a rebel group which is blamed for attacks inside Rwanda in 2018 and 2019 that killed nine people.


Video: Rwanda : verdict vendredi dans le procès du héros de "Hotel Rwanda" (Dailymotion)

Rusesabagina has denied any involvement in the attacks, but was a founder of the Rwandan Movement for Democratic Change (MRCD), an opposition group of which the FLN is seen as the armed wing.

'Hotel Rwanda' hero Paul Rusesabagina has been convicted of terrorism charges

  'Hotel Rwanda' hero Paul Rusesabagina has been convicted of terrorism charges The former hotel manager is credited with saving the lives of over 1,000 people during the1994 Rwandan genocide.Rusesabagina, who was charged alongside 20 others, was convicted of forming an illegal armed group, joining a terror group, and funding a terror group, the Associated Press reported. The verdict is still out on charges of murder, abduction, and armed robbery.

A Kigali court said on Thursday it will issue its verdict next month against detained " Hotel Rwanda " activist turned government critic Paul Rusesabagina, who is charged with terrorism in a trial denounced as political by his supporters. Prosecutors last month sought a sentence of life in prison against Rusesabagina, who inspired the Hollywood film over his actions during the 1994 genocide that saved the lives of about 1,000 people. Judge Antoine Muhima said the verdict in the trial against Rusesabagina and 20 other defendants, which opened in February, would be delivered on August 20.

Rwanda announced Wednesday that a verdict due this week in a terrorism trial against Paul Rusesabagina, the ' Hotel Rwanda ' hero turned government critic, has been delayed . Rusesabagina, 67, had been due to learn his fate on Friday in a case that his supporters say is politically motivated. Prosecutors have sought a life sentence for Rusesabagina, the former hotelier credited with saving hundreds of lives during the 1994 genocide, and whose bravery inspired the Hollywood film.

The hearings against him and 20 other defendants started in February.

But Rusesabagina, a Belgian citizen and US green card holder, has boycotted the trial since March, accusing the court of "unfairness and a lack of independence".

The United States, the European parliament, and Belgium have raised concerns about his transfer to Rwanda and the fairness of his trial.

When prosecutors announced in June they were seeking a life term, they said Rusesabagina "encouraged and empowered the fighters to commit those terrorist acts".

But his co-defendants gave conflicting testimony over the level of Rusesabagina's involvement with the FLN and its fighters.

His family has campaigned globally for his release, saying Rusesabagina is a political prisoner, and accusing Rwandan authorities of torturing him in custody.

txw/amu/wdb

Indonesian court rules president negligent over pollution .
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — An Indonesian court ruled Thursday that President Joko Widodo and six other top officials have neglected to fulfill citizens’ rights to clean air and ordered them to improve the poor air quality in the capital. The Central Jakarta District Court panel voted 3-0 in favor of the group of 32 residents who filed a lawsuit in July 2019 against Widodo and his three Cabinet ministers of home affairs, health and environment, as well as governors of Jakarta, Banten and West Java, in seeking a healthy living environment in the city.

usr: 6
This is interesting!