World Danish man held over deadly bow-and-arrow attack in Norway
Custody hearing for Norway bow-and-arrow suspect
KONGSBERG, Norway (AP) — The suspect in a bow-and-arrow attack that killed five people and wounded three in a quiet Norwegian town this week is facing a custody hearing Friday. He won't appear in court because he has confessed to the killings and has agreed to being held in custody. Espen Andersen Braathen, a 37-year-old Danish citizen was arrested Wednesday night, 30 minutes after he began his deadly rampage targeting random people. Police have described the attack as an act of terror.
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — A 37-year-old Danish man is in custody in Norway suspected of a bow-and-arrow attack on a small town that killed five people and wounded two others, police said Thursday.
The man, who was not further identified, has confessed to going on a rampage in Kongsberg, southwest of the capital Oslo, prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen said, adding he was was questioned overnight.
Danish man suspected of killing five with bow-and-arrow in Norway
Danish man suspected of killing five with bow-and-arrow in NorwayTwo people, including an off-duty police officer, were wounded in the Wednesday evening attacks https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/man-kills-several-people-norway-bow-arrow-attacks-police-say-2021-10-13, which took place in different locations in the town, 68 km (42 miles) southwest of the capital, Oslo.
Several of the victims were in a supermarket, police said.
The man, who lives in Kongsberg, is known to the police, Svane Matthiassen told Norwegian broadcaster TV2.
Norwegian news agency NTB cited police as saying the suspect also used other weapons.
There was “a confrontation” between officers and the assailant in connection with the arrest, police said but gave no details.
Norway court to decide on detention of bow-and-arrow attacker
Norway court to decide on detention of bow-and-arrow attackerEspen Andersen Braathen, a 37-year-old Danish citizen who has lived for most of his life in Norway's Kongsberg municipality where the attacks https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/man-kills-several-people-norway-bow-arrow-attacks-police-say-2021-10-13 took place on Wednesday, has acknowledged killing the victims, investigators have said.
Both the hospitalized victims are in intensive care. They include an off-duty police officer who was inside the store. Their condition was not immediately known.
The suspect is being held on preliminary charges which is a step short of formal charges. Police believe he acted alone.
Police were alerted to the attack around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday and arrested the suspect about 30 minutes later.
Police spokesman Oeyvind Aas said that “we will return to a more detailed description of the course of events when we have a better overview of what happened.”
Norway attack victims were killed by stabbings, not arrows, police say
The five victims of last week's attack in Norway were all stabbed to death, rather than killed by bow-and-arrow as previously thought, police said Monday. © Terje Bendiksby/NTB/AFP/Getty Images Flowers and candles are placed at a makeshift memorial for the victims of the Kongsberg attack on Stortorvet in Kongsberg, Norway, on October 15, 2021. - The man who killed five people in the bow-and-arrow attack on October 13, 2021 has been handed over to health services, the prosecution said, amid speculation he may have mental health issues.
“It goes without saying that this is a very serious and extensive situation, and it naturally affects Kongsberg and those who live here,” he said.
Prime Minister-designate Jonas Gahr Stoere, who is expected to take office later Thursday, called the attack “horrific.”
“This is unreal. But the reality is that five people have been killed, many are injured and many are in shock ,” Gahr Stoere told Norwegian broadcaster NRK on Thursday.
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres wrote on Twitter that he was “shocked and saddened by the tragic news coming from Norway.”
Town officials said the main church was open to anyone in need of support.
Kongsberg, a small town of some 26,000 inhabitants, is about 66 kilometers (41 miles) southwest of Oslo.
Adair Curtis Designs Family Room for 'Most Demanding Clients' — His Husband and Their Baby Son .
Jason Bolden, a celebrity interior designer, and husband Adair Curtis welcomed baby son Arrow Fox in May Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.