World UK sets aside £1.7bn to support Bulb customers
Tennis - ATP - Masters: Rubev Domine Tsitsipas Without Trembling
© Panoramic Rubev 151121 Andrey Rubev has perfectly successed its entrance into the Turin Masters by having a used Stefanos Tsitsipas on the score of 6-4, 6- 4. Russian is co-leader of the Green Group with Novak Djokovic. More info to come ...
The UK government has set aside nearly £1.7bn to allow energy firm Bulb to continue supplying energy to customers.
The firm was put into special administration on Wednesday, which will let it keep trading for the moment.
Bulb will be run by administrator Teneo until a buyer can be found or until its customers have moved.
The government loan will support the administrator's work, and mean the lights stay on for Bulb's 1.7 million customers.
Teneo estimates it will cost around £2.1bn to keep Bulb trading until the end of April next year.
Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng can provide more money for the company if needed.
Banking verdict: First court holds negative interest for inadmissible - now the entire industry bangs
negative interest rates are an increasing annoyance for bank customers. The Berlin district court considers them inadmissible and has now sentenced the Sparda Bank to repayment. What does the judgment mean for savers? © Getty Images / Twinsterphoto Negative interest rates are now at banks common practice - but legal controversial more and more banks require negative interest on credit from their customers.
Without the cash, Bulb would not have been able to keep going past the middle of December, court documents show.
Due to its size, Bulb will be run as normal for the time being, rather than its customers being immediately transferred to other suppliers, as has happened with other failing energy providers.
By April, the cap on energy prices may have increased significantly, which would mean higher revenues for the business.
The company is three times larger than any other energy supplier that has failed in recent years.
Normally regulator Ofgem lets a firm fail and moves its customers to a new supplier.
At the High Court in London, Justice Adam Johnson said that if left unresolved uncertainty over Bulb would be "bound to have an effect on customers, employees and suppliers".
WTA demands answers, while IOC steps aside in case of Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai
China’s state-run media released a statement it said was from tennis star Peng Shuai.The WTA's strong words came little more than an hour after Shuai’s name resurfaced in a bizarre post on the CGTN Twitter feed, more than two weeks after the three-time Olympian accused a former high-ranking Chinese official of sexual assault, then went missing as her accusatory social media post was deleted.
He said that the administration was designed "to keep the energy supply company going, with a view to it being rescued if that is possible".
He added that an alternative would be to appoint a supplier of last resort, adding: "That is thought to be impractical here, given the size and importance of Bulb as a supplier".
The judge said that the £1.7bn would be "of existential importance to Bulb".
Earlier in the day, Mr Kwarteng said the special administration regime was a temporary arrangement to provide "an ultimate safety net to protect consumers and ensure continued supply".
He told the House of Commons: "We do not want this company to be in this temporary state longer than is absolutely necessary."
For Labour, shadow business secretary Ed Miliband said: "With so many companies going bust in just two months, something not happening anywhere else in the world, it points to a systemic failure of regulation.
Zverev will challenge Djokov
© supplied by Sports.co.uk Tennis - ATP - Masters: Zverev Domine Hurkacz and will face Djokovic in half after Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev, Alexander Zverev is also assured of disputing the semi-finals of the Masters Turin! The German player, who had beaten Matteo Berrettini on abandonment for his first game, before losing the third set of the third set against Medvedev for his second, arranged Hubert Hurkacz in two sleeves for his last spot count for the Red Group.
"Firms took risky bets and were allowed to do so and the government and Ofgem significantly deregulated the conditions of operation in 2016.
"Will the business secretary now take responsibility for the clear failure of regulation there has been and doesn't it suggest there needs to be a proper external review of the regulation of the market?"
As a result of a cap limiting what companies can charge their customers, some businesses have been forced to sell energy for less than they bought it for.
Bigger companies tend to buy their gas further in advance, helping them avoid large hits from the price spike. However smaller firms that are less able to do that have come under pressure.
Since the beginning of September, 22 energy suppliers have failed following a spike in gas prices.
Labour MP Alex Sobel warned in the Commons: "We're moving back to an oligopoly of energy companies who are increasing their profits whilst the supplier of last resort is socialising losses.
"What's [Mr Kwarteng] going to do to fix the broken energy market?"
Mr Kwarteng replied: "I don't agree with his characterisation. I don't think we're going back to an oligopoly, as he said. I've always maintained that competition is absolutely essential in this market.
"What's happened is there's been a huge mismatch between the wholesale price and the retail price cap, and the retail price cap is there to protect consumers."
Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran suggested a "Northern Rock-style energy company to take on customers of companies that have gone under" if the current process is not working.
Consumer group Which? said the support "should provide reassurance" to Bulb customers.
"We recommend Bulb customers to do nothing and wait for more information about the special administration process," said Which? home products and services editor Lisa Barber.
"Its customers will continue to see their bills limited by the price cap, which is likely to be the best deal for them at the moment.
"There are few savings to be made by switching and some suppliers are not taking on new customers due to high wholesale gas prices," she added.
Will Ferrell and Adam McKay's Friendship Ups and Downs Over the Years .
A collaboration for the ages. Will Ferrell and Adam McKay have produced tons of comedy classics together, but their partnership — and their friendship — came to a halt in 2019. The duo first connected while working at Saturday Night Live in the mid-1990s. Ferrell joined the show as a cast member in September 1995 for the series’ 21st season, while McKay came on board as a writer. The Big Short director originally auditioned for an onscreen role on the long-running NBC variety show, but he was offered a role as a writer instead. He became head writer at age 27 within one year of joining the crew. Ferrell, meanwhile, became one of SNL‘s biggest stars of all time, appearing in classic sketches where he played characters including Alex Trebek and Craig the Spartan cheerleader. After he left the show in 2002, he reunited with McKay, who’d left the previous year, to work on feature films. Their first project together was 2004’s Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, which became an instant hit with its quotable lines and hilarious cast. The movie was so beloved by fans that the duo decided to make a sequel nearly a decade later. “Wherever we were in the world, whatever we were promoting, the last round of the interview was always, ‘Can I ask you a few questions about Anchorman? Will there ever be a sequel?'” Ferrell told The Guardian in December 2013, explaining why the producing partners decided to make 2013’s Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.